Kevin Tarlow, PhD
Office Hours (Spring 2020)
Location: MLK 236
Times: Tuesday 10-11, 12:30-2; Wednesday 10-3; Thursday 10-11, 12:30-2
- Feeling stuck on an assignment? Questions about something we talked about in class? Want to talk about grad school or career options after graduation? Need to plan your schedule for next semester?
- Office hours are the times when I am available to meet with students individually. This is an opportunity for us to address any questions or concerns that I wasn't able to address in class. I also meet with students during office hours to provide academic advising and informal career guidance. I enjoy getting to work with students one-on-one, and I hope you will stop by.
- What are Office Hours? (Cornell University)
- College Students: How to Make Office Hours Less Scary (NPR)
How to Improve My Grades: Advice from Dr. Tarlow's Students
- Whenever I notice a student who improves their grade by at least a letter grade, I send them an anonymous survey. I ask one question: "How did you improve your grade in this class?" Follow the link above to read their responses.
The Psychology of Successful Learning: An Evidence-Based Guide for Students
- Can you improve your grades with science? This presentation reviews note reading strategies and study skills that are supported by over 130 years of psychological research.
- Practice testing is one of the best ways to improve learning outcomes. Studying with flashcards is an easy and effective way to review material. Consider studying with paper flashcards or one of several free online flashcard tools (e.g., quizlet.com, cram.com, studyblue.com).
- A recent study (Yang & Bliss, 2014) found that many high-achieving undergraduate students shared the following study behaviors: they talked to instructors to address academic difficulties, worked on assignments every day, completed assigned readings before each class, reviewed lecture notes after each class, organized study materials before a study session, and reviewed main ideas when reading assigned chapters/articles.
Writing Topic Sentences
© 2016–2019 Kevin Tarlow